If living a healthy life free from all physical and mental disorders is your long cherished dream then yoga is here to help you achieve it. An ever-flowering mystical science that brings health to our body, peace to our mind, ease to the breath, and develops openness and harmony within our hearts. Through the regular practice of yoga, we cultivate a deep sense of awareness within ourselves, and we realize our very nature– the fresh and vibrant presence.
Begin your yoga journey with the practice of yoga postures and relish the physical benefits–a lowered high blood pressure in the people suffering from hypertension, decreased stress– a leading cause of high BP, with an increased parasympathetic activity. All these rewards contribute to an increased sense of wellbeing and a balanced flow of energy. The innate feeling of wellness naturally results in a clarity of thought and emotions.
Treat hypertension with yoga and accept each moment of life with greater equanimity, health, and compassion. Have a look at the best yoga postures for high blood pressure:
1. Bridge Pose (Setu-Bandhasana): Lie supine on a yoga mat. Bend your knees, keep your feet on the floor, and heels close to the hips. As you exhale, press the feet and arms firmly into the floor. Now, lift the hips and tailbone upwards. Keep your thighs and feet equidistant to the ground. Stretch your arms under the pelvis and clasp your hands below it. Raise the chin away from the sternum, broaden the shoulder blades, and hold the pose for 60 seconds.
2. Downward Facing Dog ( Adho Mukha Svanasana): Come on your fours. Keep your knees below your hips and wrists under your shoulders. Spread the fingers of the palm and curl your toes inward. Breathe out, lift the knees off the floor and elevate your hips towards the ceiling. Straighten your legs and bring your body into an inverted position. Do not let the head hang. Gaze at your navel. Hold this pose for 60 seconds.
3. Head To Knee Forward Bend (Janu-Sirsasana): Begin in Dandasana. Inhale, bend your right knee and pull your heel towards the perineum. Place the right sole on the inside edge of the left thigh. Keep the left hand on the floor beside the left hip. Upon exhalation, turn the torso to the left side and bend forward. Stretch the arms and grab the feet. Hold this pose for 20-30 seconds.
4. Reclining Hero Pose( Supta Virasana): Perform hero pose. Exhale, lower your torso towards the floor. First, lean on your hands, then forearms and finally on the elbows. Once you are on the elbows, support the pelvis with hands and recline on the ground. Rest your hands on the sides of your torso angled at 45-degrees with palms facing up. Support the head on a folded blanket (if needed) and hold this pose for 30 seconds. Gradually increase the length of time.
5. Reclining Hand-to-big-toe pose(Supta Padangusthasana): Lie straight on the floor, legs strongly stretched. Rest the head on a folded blanket. Fold the left knee and draw the thigh into the torso. Bring the left thigh close to your stomach and actively press the right leg on the ground. Loop a strap around the left feet and hold it with both the hands. Straighten the leg up towards the ceiling. Keep the elbows unbent and widen your collarbones. Remain in this pose for 60 seconds or more.
6. Dolphin Pose (Ardha Pincha Mayurasana): Begin in a tabletop position. Make sure your forearms and palms are actively pressed into the floor. Tuck the toes under and exhale. Raise the knees and heels off the floor. Slowly straighten your legs and rest the heels back on the floor. Align the head between the upper arms. Remain in this pose for 30 seconds.
7. Mountain Pose (Tadasana): Stand upright on a yoga mat. Keep your feet together and arms by your side. Rotate your thighs inward and evenly distribute the weight across the heels of the feet. Elongate your torso and extend your arms overhead. Either keep them parallel to each other or fold them in Namaste position. Gaze in a forward direction and hold this pose for 60 seconds.
Incorporate these yoga poses for high blood pressure in your daily regimen to improve your blood circulation and to cure hypertension.