A fascinating aspect of yoga asanas is that they come in all forms and shapes. Some yoga postures are easy to practice with a little struggle for flexibility and strength while there are many that are impossible to practice. Utkatasana (Chair pose) falls into a category of its own: it is an illusive yoga pose that looks easy to practice but demands a lot of strength in the legs, solidity in the core, and great pliancy in the shoulders. That’s the challenge with a chair pose. But, all the efforts put in promise a greater glory.
Utkatasana (chair pose) is highly beneficial in toning the tired legs, building strength in shoulders, and helps you bring out your fierce side. Learn the steps to get into the utkatasana(chair pose):
1. Stand upright on a yoga mat with hands on the hips.
2. Spread your weight evenly on your feet.
3. Keep your shins perpendicular to the feet.
4. Press the heels firmly into the ground and raise your arms to shoulder-height in front of your body.
5. Lift your arms overhead as high as possible
6. Bend your knees at 90-degree angle. Lower your hips while keeping the weight in your heels.
7. Gaze at a point in front of you.
8. Stay in the pose for 30-60 seconds.
9. To come out of the posture, straighten your legs, lower your arms, and return to Tadasana.
Here is a list of top 10 health benefits of utkatasana (chair pose). Have a look at the pointers below:
1. Tones the legs: Our legs support us throughout the day in different activities. If you are an athlete who is into sports like running, jumping, or sprinting then you probably know the value of strong legs that power you up through the competitions. Additionally, building upper body strength at the expense of lower body makes you look asymmetrical. Therefore, chair pose is a natural method of toning the legs.
2. Gives a boost to Immune System: Good and healthy immune system is a prerequisite to fight the disease-causing bacteria. A regular practice of chair pose strengthens the immune system and elevate its functioning that keeps the various illnesses and disorders at bay.
3. Relieves a Backache: Blame it on the desk-bound jobs, incorrect lifestyle habit, or any other reason, the truth is that a backache is a common health issue affecting several people. A painful and uncomfortable backache can at times take the shape of serious diseases such as osteoporosis, arthritis, slip disk, etc. The utkatasana is an excellent pose that potently provides relief from an aching back.
4. Promotes weight loss: No one likes excess weight on the undesirable body parts that hamper your overall appearance and even self-confidence. Apart from the diets, try out the practice of chair pose that effectively reduces extra pounds of weight from the body, especially the hips. For far-reaching results, make sure you practice the pose regularly with dedication.
5. Restores body Strength: Do you wish for extra strength that keeps you going throughout the day? If yes, then consider utkatasana (chair pose) — one of the few yoga asanas that offer you the opportunity to restore your body strength in natural ways. The daily practice of chair pose keeps the body active and fresh throughout the day.
6. Corrects Postural imbalance: Poor posture is the by-product of constant sitting and more forward movements. Thanks to the ancient chair pose that simply reinforces the postural imbalance and creates positive alterations in the body.
7. Stimulates the diaphragm: The chair pose stimulates the diaphragm and heart thus providing them the extra power to function properly. Proper functioning of diaphragm plays a vital role in the breathing process and prevents the risk of respiratory problems.
8. Good for digestion: The practice of utkatasana is good for all those suffering from digestive problems. The posture gives a gentle massage to the digestive system and enhances the blood circulation in it, thereby improving digestion and alleviating digestion-related problems.
9. Improves body Balance: Poor balance results in many negative health issues no matter whether a person is young or old. Proper body balance reduces the chances of falls, decreases stress on joints and prevents injury. Chair pose is a cost-effective method for regaining proper body balance.
10. Stretches the hips: Utkatasana is a great posture that gently stretches the spine and hips, thus providing instant relief from a tight posterior and round spine.
Put in all the strength and soul in the practice of utkatasana(chair pose) and reap its real health benefits.