Yoga Asanas– the physical body movements and one of the core elements of traditional discipline of yoga are the techniques to maintain the health and wellness of the body-mind and also the means of inner unfoldment. With a close attention to the alignment and interlinking of breath with the yoga postures, the poses act as a vehicle to awaken the Kundalini, help us walk on the path of self-discovery, and unite us with our authentic Self.
Chakrasana (Wheel Pose) is a powerful back-bending posture that is effectual in counteracting the episodes of depression, feelings of unhappiness while lengthening and toning the entire body from spine to toe.
Take a look at the steps involved in performing a modified Chakrasana:
1. Begin in a corpse pose. Bend your knees and bring your heels as close to your hips as possible. Place a yoga block in between the inner soles so that your feet remain parallel to the ground.
2. Extend your arms overhead, bend your elbows and place the palms on the floor beside your head. If you are a beginner to the pose, place a yoga block under each hand for extra height and correct alignment.
3. Keep your elbows towards the ceiling, fingers below the shoulders and forearms parallel to a yoga mat.
4. Inhale, press your feet against the yoga blocks to lift your hips upward. Now, compress the hands to raise the shoulders and head off a yoga mat.
5. Slowly, come into a full wheel position with head tilted backward. Straighten your legs, arms, and lift your chest up.
6. Look at the floor in between your hands.
7. Hold this pose for 30 seconds.
Take a glance at the best seven health benefits of wheel pose:
1. Therapeutic for Asthma: All those suffering from asthma may consider the practice of wheel pose, a natural and non-invasive method of curing this chronic lung disease. Wheel pose stretches and opens the lungs thus therapeutically treating the disease of asthma. The posture effectively fights various respiratory problems thus mitigating the chances of developing asthma.
2. Stretches the Upper Body: Chakrasana is a good upper body workout. A regular performance of wheel pose potently stretches the spine, chest, shoulders, and upper back. The lengthening action helps keep the upper body in good health and prevents the onset of diseases related to spine, shoulders, back, and chest.
3. Provides relief from Depression: Do not let the deadly disease of depression overpower your body, mind, and soul. Instead, cure it through the practice of yoga. Perform chakrasana to get relief from mild depression and heal your soul. With an everyday practice of chakrasana, keep anxiety and depression away.
4. Invigorates the Pituitary Glands: Balance the gland of the endocrine system– the pituitary gland with wheel pose. The wheel pose stimulates the functioning of the pituitary and thyroid glands thereby helping a body to reproduce, grow, and carry out diverse functions in a healthy fashion. Additionally, the pose is helpful in regulating the hormonal imbalances that can take the shape of a tumor or cysts in future.
5. Refreshes the Body: Say ‘No’ to artificial body energizer and embrace the natural body, mind, and soul rejuvenator– the Wheel Pose. Make it a habit to practice Chakrasana and feel high on energy, strength, and vigor all day long. By refreshing the body and mind, the pose helps foster a feeling of calmness and contentment.
6. Good For Arms and Wrists: As you extend your arms and hold your weight on your hands, you work on the health and strength of your arms and wrists. Strong arms and wrists help in the lifting of weights and allow to perform the daily acts with ease.
7. Balances the Hormones: The wheel pose improves the hormonal secretion in the body that maintains the health and wellness of the body. The enhanced hormonal secretion is said to aid in fertility.
Do not hesitate to practice a wheel pose. Inculcate the posture in your daily life to reap the health benefits of chakrasana and nurture your overall health.