It is universally acknowledged that yoga is a wonder science that provides energy, strength, beauty, and flexibility to the mind, body, and soul. From providing overall personal well-being to reconnecting the practitioners with their lost spirit, the comprehensive practice of yoga involving yoga postures, meditation, and pranayama nurtures a sense of joy, internal peace, wellness and the interconnection with what truly matters. The practice of mystical yoga asanas is aimed at purification of the physical and mental body for a long-lasting health. And, sirsasana (headstand) is one such incredible yoga posture that stills the turbulence of the mind, perfects the physical health, and makes you extra focused and luminous in life.
The king of all asanas, Sirsasana (headstand) requires the whole body weight to be borne on the head that assists in the integrated development of the body, calms the brain, and expands the horizons of the soul. Learn the correct steps to performing a headstand and garner the amazing benefits of sirsasana:
1. Come on your fours on a yoga mat. Locate your forearms on the floor and interlace your fingers. Make sure your elbows are shoulder-distance apart.
2. Place the top of your head against the clasped hands. With an Inhalation, uplift the knees off the ground.
3. Bring your body into an upside-down “V” position. Walk your feet nearer to your elbows, heels raised.
4. Slowly, lift your feet off the ground and bring your knees closer to your chest.
5. Gently extend your legs upward. Keep them vertical to the ground.
6. Evenly distribute your weight between the forearms and remain in this pose for 20-30 seconds.
7. To release the posture, Exhale; come down to the floor without lifting your shoulder blades from the ground and rest the feet on the yoga mat.
Here is a list of best seven benefits of headstand. Take a look at the pointers below:
1. Stimulates Brain Function: The brain is the place of intelligence, wisdom, power, and knowledge. The skull encases the brain which regulates the nervous system and other organs of the body. The brain is also the center of the cognitive functioning of the humans. Headstand yoga posture increases the supply of pure blood to the brain cells making them healthy and rejuvenated. Robust brain cells result in an improvement in cognitive functioning, enhance focus, and clear the thoughts. The nutrients and blood nourish the brain cells and elevate the functioning of the brain.
2. Invigorates the Mind: Many of us live a life inflicted with stress, tension, and some even with depression. The persistent anxiety takes a toll on the physical health and leads to an imbalanced livelihood. Sirsasana is a natural way to calm the wobbling stress. It increases the flow of oxygenated blood to the brain that activates the pituitary gland and pineal gland that efficiently alleviates all the worries, depression, insomnia, and revitalizes the mind. “The peaceful mind aids in better concentration, circulation, and controls metabolism”, according to Iyengar.
3. Healthy Hair Growth: The sirsasana is an amazing yoga posture if you want to optimize the flow of nutrients and blood to your scalp region. Perform the upside-down headstand yoga pose that enhances the supply of nutrients to the hair follicles, preventing hair fall, and grants the practitioners with strong and luscious hair.
4. Improves Vision: A cost-effective and safe method of improving vision is found in the consistent practice of headstand. Going upside down increases the blood flow rich in vitamins and other essential nutrients to the sensory organs including the eyes and prevents the onset of various eye abnormalities such as myopia, cataract, astigmatism, and macular degeneration.
5. Treats Sexual Disorders: It is well-known that the headstand enhances the blood flow to the head, glands, and other organs of the body. Additionally, it carries positive effect for some of the sexual disorders like menopause syndrome, menstrual cramps, sperm deficiency, and other sexual problems. It drains out the blood from the endocrine glands and results in optimal functioning of the sexual glands.
6. Strengthens the Body: As you hold yourself up on the head in a headstand, you utilize the strength of your arms, shoulders, and back to keep the pressure off from your neck and head. By encouraging you to lift your own body weight, sirsasana improves muscle endurance and uplifts the upper body strength.
7. Remedy For Hypertension: The performance of sirsasana is a great remedy for people suffering from hypertension. The inverted position greatly increases the blood flow and normalizes the blood pressure.
Sirsasana (headstand ) is a great yoga posture with tons of benefits that help a ‘sadhak’ (practitioner) stay fit and healthy.